Friday, November 19, 2004

Golden Dog, and my bright exercise/knitting idea

First, "Golden Dog" aka Joey, did great in his Thanksgiving production at the preschool. WHAT a trip! Those 4 & 5 yr olds worked so hard at making native american decorations & costumes and turkeys and all the good stuff. They sang Thanksgiving songs (yes, they DO exist) and said poems and my fave was the 5 Fat Turkeys...

Five Fat Turkeys, sitting on the fence
The first one said, "I'm so immense."
The second one said, "I can gobble at you."
The third one said, "Well, I can gobble too."
The fourth one said, "I can spread my tail."
The fifth one said, "Don't catch it on a nail."
Along came a farmer with something to say,
"Turkeys are the best on Thanksgiving Day"

There was something else about being a little Cherokee and having a bow & arrow and at the end they scream at the top of their lungs, "Bears and buffalos you'd better watch out."

Now, these and about 10 other songs were "sung" by the little ones...in other words, shouted at us to the point that you only knew the songs were over when it got quiet.

The truly entertaining thing was the parents & grandparents in the audience. I mean, I think my kid's cute and I enjoy it but HOLY CRAP PEOPLE, they're just kids. Video cameras, digitals, disposables, UNREAL. Then there was overhearing all the moms bragging about their kids' "work" in their acting classes, gymastics, etc. preparing them for success in the "real world". I figured I'd shelter my munchkins from the "real world" as long as humanly possible and allow them to be KIDS that just hang out and play in the dirt, swing, and be bored. Did you notice NO children are allowed to be bored anymore? to have to come up with their own imaginative ways to entertain themselves??? My poor kids. They have that opportunity more than they would like, but it's really amazing the games they can come up with if I just turn off the damn tv and leave them alone once in a while.

Ran home, put the kids to bed, and mom & dad VERY nicely offered to listen for them so I could run out and meet Alison at her goodbye last night in kc. Sad, but fun too and now I have another reason to take a trip to Denver! She'll wipe that city out of expensive tiny sized shoes in no time.

When I got home, I realized I didn't have time to exercise AND knit before bed. I got this great idea last night...why not COMBINE the knitting I love with the exercise I don't particularly care for??? I could get my knitting projects done while getting all fit & trim....(Did I mention I'm extremely NOT graceful)

So, first I thought I'd try the treadmill. How hard could it be? I normally multitask and do 4-10 things at once, so no biggie, right??? Am I the only idiot or has anyone else done this??? After realizing I had to time my steps with the stitches, it was almost do-able, but I about had a heart attack and then later almost impaled myself on the ONE pair of beautiful rosewood needles I have and decided to try something else. I had quite the setup, though. A kid's plastic bucket hanging from a hook on the treadmill kept the yarn, and I was only trying to work on another straight garter stitch scarf, but it was a no go.

Next I thought I could do the stationary bike. That wasn't too bad, used the same bucket to hold yarn off one of the handles, but again the timing had to be just right for me to stitch and pedal and not get all caddywampus. I actually fell off the stinking bike. ONTO the ground. Too much work.

Decided to sit on my butt on the couch AS GOD INTENDED while knitting and compromised by doing lunges & pushups whenever commercials came on. Then I got lazy and just sat there knitting away.

Ended up almost finished with my boob tube, only have about two inches left, hope to get it done tomorrow. Back to rewarding myself by sitting & knitting AFTER the time on the treadmill...crap.



Taking the kids to see spongebob this weekend, should be fun! Is it 5:00 yet?????? Hoping Amanda is enjoying her day off from the dungeon, what am I thinking, of COURSE she is! Knock em dead at your sing thing!

I'm actually going OUT tonight. Woo hoo. Going to head out to meet a few girls at Raul's velvet club to dance to the disco band and then trying to get Russell to go out too (if we can drag Mark out of the house, otherwise I might just kidnap Russell anyway!).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...