Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Girl's day out on the plaza!

OH wow! Jennie, you should have stopped by to say hello! We did day #2 of the knitting camp at the Studio yesterday morning. Then these girls came upstairs with STOCKINETTE stitching AND they could cast on AND cast off! Unbe-freaking-lievable! They were SO proud! We went to the cheesecake factory to celebrate. They asked if they could PLEASE bring their knitting, I swear I almost cried with pride! I'm really hoping this will be a bond my daughter and I can share as we enter those dreaded teenage years. I still remember my aunt Janis (who died of breast cancer years ago) teaching me to crochet when I was 8 and that was my start on this long love affair with all things fibre.

I'll post some pic's tomorrow, I promise. I'm sitting in my bedroom corner office, Beth is casting on stitches onto a circular needle BY HERSELF as she is now going to make a purse to match the small bag she made yesterday. OH MY GOD...I joined it for her and knit one round, set it down to go help Joey with his project, she picked it up and has been KNITTING right along! No biggie. I said, "OH, do you know how to tell which way to go? Let me get you started".....and she'd already said, "MOM, the smooth side goes out and the yarn from the ball is attached to the needle for your right hand." DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNN! The girl has GOT it! I totally recommend letting someone ELSE teach your child to knit. I had taught her a while back just the basic knit stitch, but somehow it was not as exciting or as much of a learning experience as dumping her and walking AWAY from the children. I asked if I could sit in on the class and Cindy said, "sure, as long as you stay out of the way and DON'T HELP" I thought I'd better just walk my butt upstairs. GOOD PLAN!

Know what else? My nine-year-old daughter just taught ME the long tail cast-on that I couldn't ever get figured out from other teachers. You know that weird bunny hole/tree/2 fingers up and loop around thing? I don't want to use it as I like my elastic thumb cast-on, but I need to learn it so I can teach and help others as that's what almost everyone else learns first.

More spring break stories soon...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...