Thursday, June 29, 2006

gossamer fairy guts

I recently joined a shawl yahoo group and stated that I was trying to make this VERY COOL Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl by Sarah Bradberry out of my laceweight hand-painted silk on sz 10 needles. One sweet knitter replied that it must look like gossamer fairy wings done with those choices. Let's just say it didn't QUITE turn out that way. About 50+ rows in, it resembled gossamer fairy guts. frog city. I really REALLY want to make that shawl, but I think it would be much prettier in a sport-weight yarn.

SO I'm determined to wear something around my shoulders while I'm on the beaches at Maui this fall, and what better than my sunset-colored silk yarn? dammit! SO I left on a mission and found a new pattern that was actually written for laceweight or sportweight and I think it's a MUCH better first big ass shawl for me than going off pattern yet. (I'm such a follower I NEED the direction). I cast on and made it through 29 rows of Fiber Trends' Shoalwater Shawl and it's a pleasure to knit. I am enjoying the heck out of it. I'm not going all brave and reading the chart included, no, not yet. I'm following line by line the written instructions on this baby. I don't have quite enough yarn (about 200 yds shy) so I figure I'll just try to stop earlier and then do the little picot cast off which looks like a BIOTCH to do, but I know where to find some of you experienced knitters to beg a mini lesson from. bwa ha ha haaaaa!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...