Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The Prodigal Sock and Art Yarn Crocheted Cowl



Guess what Jeff pulled out of the innerds of my broken truck? A mountain colors barefoot sock! OH! SO excited to see this again!!! I know, I know. It's a sock. But it's a mountain colors barefoot sock AND my very favorite of the many pair I've knit! Apparently it got shaken loose from wherever it'd been stuck when I was rear ended on the highway. I've had this one, sad little sock looking at me each time I've washed my woolens and folded and put the pairs away. Poor little sock. Now it's mate has come home! YAY! As Ma Ingalls would say, "There's no great loss without some small gain." As I would say, "Wow. That Sucks. But ooooooh looky there!" Yeah. Probably why my daughter hasn't written a dozen children's books sharing the stories of her childhood to generations of young readers, huh?

What do you do with a skein of art yarn that's just not quite your style? OK, you probably don't buy it. Well, if you DO end up with some art yarn that you think wants to be more than just a drop stitch scarf, try a slip stitch cowl! I'll write up an official pattern later, but in a nutshell, you take a big ass crochet hook, crochet a chain long enough to fit around your head at its widest point, then add about 3-4 inches. Then join and slip stitch LOOSELY around and around until you run out of yarn or you decide it's long enough. Pull it over your head, and voila! You have a trendy, fasionable artsy fartsy cowl! WOO HOO!

This was actually some of the sample yarn I spun up at one of Insubordiknit's Art Yarn Spinning Classes. I *heart* it very much. Below, see the "before" and "after" shots. Also, the snow shot was snapped in my neighbor's back yard instead of my usual parking lot spot. My neighbor already thinks I'm crazy, so no worries there.







It actually looks much better with my black shirt and dark orange jacket. Don't know why I photographed it while wearing PURPLE, the one color NOT in the yarn. Ah well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...