Monday, March 15, 2010

Spinning & Knitting from the hospital


Well, the youngest Weasley is in the hospital for treatment of a few Cystic Fibrosis (CF) related issues. He's got a couple of lung infections that have flared up, gut pain and sinus stuff. Sinus surgery cleared up that part of things and he's already breathing easier. He's on iv antibioitcs & respiratory therapy 4X a day to help fight the lung stuff. We're still working on gut issues. He's a trooper and boy, howdy, if you've got to be a kid in a hospital, Children's Mercy is sure the place to be.

It's so cheerful and happy that it borders on being a bit spooky. Seriously, how do those people still SMILE so big at 4am? It boggles the mind.

It's actually a GOOD THING that he's been admitted. We've been trying to patch things here & there with meds that just weren't strong enough. The hardest part is that the boy's pretty much quarantined to his room. For about 2 weeks. And he's starting to feel better, so it will be a challenge to say the least. I'm thankful for the loan of many movies (including the range of Harry Potter films!), activity books, snacks, art materials, etc.

If anyone out in blogland happens to think to themselves, "Hey, that's a cute kid. I'd like to help out." We're actually in pretty good shape here. BUT I've got a great idea.... A blogger with CF is carrying on a charity knitting project started by another CF blogger that recently died from the disease. It doesn't take much yarn or time and is an IMMENSE help to those with CF or other diseases that cause them to have to have a picc line (long-term iv line from the upper arm through to the veins at the top entrance of the heart). You DON'T wanna be getting the end of that cord tugged or pulled. ICK and OW. We couldn't even get Joey's picc line inserted in the normal manner and ended up having to do it in radiology under sedation, so we REALLY don't want his picc line getting snagged on anything. I'm knitting up a few picc covers for Joey, but there's lots of people out there that would appreciate a few picc covers too! Click HERE for a link to info on knitting up the pattern. There's also a crocheted pattern on ravelry HERE. Nothing against crochet, but I've found that crocheted projects seem to have less give than knitting, something that's pretty important for a picc cover. I'd say knit it if you can. There are links on the FindingJennProject for finding a local CF care center. All sizes of people (kids to adults) could use them. I'd recommend superwash wool since it's soft and washable.

Anyone in the KC area, I'd be happy to take them in to Children's Mercy. Please make sure to put yours in a ziplock-type baggie. My son's got a mrsa staff infection as one of his lung infections. It could be contagious to others with CF (hence the quarantine). I'll keep them sealed to keep them from carrying on any infectious bits.

Since I can't reply to comments yet on the blog (DANGIT) please feel free to email me if you need any info on this project. treasuregoddessATkcDOTsurewestDOTnet

Thanks guys for all the good thoughts & prayers. He's a tough little guy and is doing well. We're just excited we've finally got an action plan to fight all this CRAP he's been dealing with for the last few months! WOO HOO!

Also, don't worry. This is still the redneck fiber blog it's become. The raccoon skin has FINALLY been treated by Jeff so it no longer is so rank in our garage. (I think I was the only one not upset by the cold weather staying so long...it kept my garage from smelling like rotting raccoon.) Well, the hide's been treated, but it's a bit stiff. Jeff has it laid out on the kids' skateboard ramp. The funny thing is that the way it dried...well, it looks like it's flying. I snort every time I see it. The arms (or the fur that used to cover the arms...you know what I mean) somehow dried in this position that it looks like the thing is FLYING. So, now we've got a freaky flying raccoon in the garage. Camera batteries were dead, so you'll just have to imagine it with me.

I'm sure we'll soon return to the normal knitting while things blow up around me or while nature tries to eat me. No worries. For now, I'm just freaking out the hospital staff with my spinning wheel, hanks of yarn drying in Joey's shower and knitting at all hours of the night. :) Knit on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...