Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Entirely too much fun...and bad for my bank account

OH momma, there's some cool craft sites out there. Of course you all know about Etsy as I've been pimping my site mercilessly TreasureGoddess. Well, I've stumbled upon a few more unbelievably cool artsy-fartsy etsy loving sites as well.

SOOPSEE is a very cool site. I'm there as TreasureGoddess. The pages are great for etsy sellers to list all their sites, blogs, etsy items, twitters, etc in one spot. It's great for etsy buyers as you can see all the goodies being posted and can mark your faves, etc. Very cool. Very, very cool.



Another place that just inspires the creative goddess inside me (even though she's stuck sitting in a cubicle, my soul is thinking creative thoughts at least) is CraftGawker. Oh my holy hell. Some seriously GORGEOUS photos of art, crafts, photos, YARN, knitted objects, crocheted objects, crazy art inspired things. Just go there. You will be amazed.

A small CYG sighting last week. I found an old picnic table under some huge oak trees in the park in our office complex that has just the right amount of filtered natural light for good photos! While working to get just the right angle, I range from climbing on there on hands & knees angling the camera to standing above the fiber/yarn on top of the table and all levels in between. The walking trails get quite a bit of traffic in the late morning/early afternoon, which is also the best light. I've heard all kinds of comments, usually as two joggers/walkers talk together. I ignore it and keep working for just the right angle. You'd think fiber that just SITS THERE would be easier to photograph, wouldn't you?



Well, the other day an older man stopped to watch. I didn't really notice it for a while. Kept on crawling about, etc. Suddenly I got that feeling of being watched and turned to him. He said he hoped he wasn't disturbing me, but he loved seeing art being created. I said, what? He told me the world is a better place with art in it and thanked me for contributing to that, then walked on down the path. I sat there a minute (after climbing down from standing on my tiptoes and leaning waaaaaaayyyyy to the side all off-kilter like I do) on the bench and thought, you know what? He's right.



The world is a better place because there are people in it that create. We create art when we make a hat for a loved one. We create art when we make a pair of socks. We create art when we create a swatch! The ability to create something new out of sticks and string has always blown my mind.



I'm not really wanting to dive into that whole debate of art vs craft, but I guess I never thought of myself as an artist until that day. "Oh, it's just a knitted hat." "Oh, it's just a crocheted scarf." Oh nothing. It's ART. We create that. Art rocks. We rock.

Wow, pollyanna enough for your Tuesday? No worries, I'm sure I'll have a normal embarrassing CYG (Crazy Yarn Girl) moment soon. I can't seem to go but a week without one. I'm just still all inspired. And feeling artsy. Empowered even. We do rock.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...