Thursday, July 23, 2009

Car Kitchenering, not for the faint of heart!





OK, now I have to say, THIS part of knitting while driving has been almost entirely restricted to stoplight knitting. Talk about your strange looks. I'm fully used to the bewildered look of those that sit next to me at stoplights and see me knitting. Mouth hanging open, drool optional. (my observers, not me!) Well try a little needle & yarn action on the end of a toe. I swear, one guy next to me looked absolutely frightened! I couldn't help myself, I had to make eye contact and smile. That REALLY freaked him out. Finally he said, "are....are...are you DARNING a SOCK? HERE? NOW?" I said, "oh no, I'm kitchenering the toe together of a sock I just knitted!" (windows were down as it was a gorgeous afternoon.) When the light turned green, I held the toe-in-progress in one hand and steered with the other driving off. He just sat there for a few minutes.

I should mention that at an earlier stoplight he may or may not have seen me pop my other foot wearing the mate for that sock up on the dash and take a picture. Yeah. Sorry about that.

I feel like the redneck knitting ambassador to the masses. Maybe that explains why people look at you strangely when you're just sitting on a park bench knitting, behaving yourself. These poor people have seen CYG in action and are afraid you're going to suddenly start knitting AT THEM or something. Who knows. All I know is I got me some purty socks all knitted and kitchenered up! These were from some seriously crazy sockyarn I dyed last year. I *heart* them and their little car kitchenered toes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...