Friday, August 31, 2007

no pics today

Well, another wild and wacky week has gone by here at Christine's house. Holy crap. I'm just drained. Sitting Tuesday night at our little coffee shop knitting night with just three of us knitters there I get a phone call from Jeff (my boyfriend). He's been in a wreck in the Ozarks. I ask "are you ok, baby?" "no, I don't think so." ugh. In a nutshell, he was going around one of those lovely hard turns on ozark roads with no shoulders and his tire slipped off the edge of the road, throwing him into a spin. In a nutshell, he went spinning down the sharp ditch and hit a tree, totaling his company car. And almost totaling himself.

He has a broken collarbone from where the seat belt was going across holding him in his seat. He's in some pain and moving slow, but he's alive and I'm so very, very thankful.

I'm also thankful for the good friendship of knitters. Holy crap. I'm trying to figure out how to get my kids looked after, get packed up and get myself the 2 1/2 hours down the road to pick him up from the hospital. The Jo's (Johanna and Joanna) swing into action. They offer to come watch the kids until my folks can get there. Then later I hear from Jeff again and his boss is going to drive him home so I don't need to go. I'm walking about in a daze. I call the girls, letting them know they don't have to come over now. They bring me food, sit and knit with me and keep me calm until Jeff came home. It's amazing how much knitting and companionship can help bring you back to the level where you can deal with whatever comes your way.

The day after the wreck we drove down to the OZ to get everything out of the car at the salvage yard. I am SO FREAKING STURDY and just perfectly calm in a crisis. ROCK SOLID in a crisis. Afterwards, I freak the hell out. I made it through the whole unloading thing, he had a LOT of crap in the car with his sales tools and demo stuff. I wish I'd have brought my camera, but I'm actually glad I didn't. After we got back into the truck, I just was in shock. I know these new cars just crumple up. I know that. But the tree's shape (a damn big tree too) was left in the car about 2 feet in front of the driver's area. The ENGINE crumpled up and was GONE in this big circle shape that was bigger than the entire driver's seat area and dash. 2 feet.

I couldn't breathe. I couldn't cry. I just sat there. I had to wait about 15 minutes before I could even drive again. For the rest of the day on Wednesday I just could hardly talk at all. I just went through the motions. I was able to pump myself up enough that when we went to pick up my kids from my folks' house (dad had picked them up from school for me) I was able to talk about their days at school and put them to bed.

Then yesterday I was mad. Mad at everyone and everything. It wasn't pretty. I finally had a big ol' "come-apart" as Jeff refers to my little mini breakdowns I have routinely. He was patient, kind, loving and listening without saying much (I think the boy has finally learned that it's usually best to keep his mouth shut when I'm ranting and raving). Today I think I'm mostly back to usual.

I needed to cast on something though. That always helps. I'm using up the leftover crafty in a good way sockyarn from my daughter's teal pair to make some better than booties socks. Today I'm back knitting and just thankful that we're all here and we're all mostly healthy. Thank God for small miracles.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...