Friday, August 16, 2013

On your marks, get set, START KNITTING! There's nothing like a deadline to get you knitting steadily on one piece. My mother fell in love with this odd little 2way sweater called the Warren 2 Way Jacket. Warren Jacket Link

She bought the pattern at a little quilt and yarn shop in Hays, KS called the Quilt Cottage back in early June. JUNE! It calls for this 100% cotton (ugh, my wrists are hurting just thinking about that) and it's a thick and thin unusual type of yarn, Ripple by Tahki. It's also a bit, um, super expensive. I couldn't quite afford 12 balls on the usual rate so found it for sale at Webs and was able to get the yarn for under $100. Now, I don't knit many $100 sweaters in cotton yarn, but this is for my mom, who quite honestly ROCKS. She is amazing and totally worth knitting a $100 sweater AND one out of thick & thin cotton. OH and did I tell you it is SEED STITCH? and knit in pieces, but not normal sweater type pieces, but a long strip for the sleeves, a strange shape for the collar and two bottoms, all of which have to be SEAMED together and did I tell you it's cotton?

Yup, mom's pretty much the only one getting a sweater like this from me. :) NOW the only other issue is one of time......The yarn was backordered. It came in TODAY. Just this afternoon and as soon as I get home I'm going to quickly knit up a gauge swatch. BUT everyone's ravelry projects are coming out HUGE, so I'm guessing I'll have to soak & let the swatch dry to get an accurate gauge......

My plan is to quickly knit up 3 gauge swatches with 3 needles of my best guess, soak them and roll them in a towel and stomp the crap out of them to get the water out, then sit them on top of the dryer while I run a load of towels through....maybe it'll hurry things along. I'll probably then choose the gauge that is a little smaller than what's called for......

OH and the timing? Mom leaves for her Alaskan Cruise on Wednesday morning. This is Friday at 4:23 and I'm not even home yet. Totally no problem, right? Wish me luck.

PS I have ice packs in the freezer for resting those wrists. Dang full time job.....It sure would've been nice to have Mon & Tues to knit.... ah well. I'm sure it's no problem. There's the whole knit/time warp continuum thing. I'm sure it'll kick right in.

Gotta go, need to get swatching!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...