Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Know when to walk away...know when to run



I'm running. Running like hell. I can knit this sweater no more. It's a lovely pattern. It's lovely yarn. Who doesn't love Silky Wool? It's just a horrid, horrid combination for me. Bad. Real bad.

In the words of Kenny Rogers, "You've got to know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run." SO, I've knit this sweater almost entirely TWICE. Knit it 2 years ago. Fully un-wove the already woven-in ends. Frogged it. Reskeined the yarn. PUT IT AWAY. Then somehow I decided I'd not given the combo a fair shake and did it again. All of it. Again. I had walked away, but I came back. I knit. Again I wove in ends. Again I sewed down a waist hem. Again I knit the whole damn thing except for the sleeves and realized that I need to run. RUN AWAY FAST.

The yarn has been reskeined yet again. It has been bagged up and will be delivered to another knitter without such a love/hate relationship with it. It will be out of my house and not tempting me that if I just knit it again, THIS TIME it would be different.


You know, looking at that pretty, pretty yarn and the pretty, pretty pictures of models riding bikes home from the farmers market with baskets full of fresh produce, I could almost see that sweater becoming mine. I could ride a bike home from the farmers market if I just had that sweater..... OUT OF THE STASH! BE GONE WITH YOU! NO MORE TEMPTATION!

It just wasn't meant to be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...