Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pi Shawl with Accidental Appendage



Sweet mother, my Pi Shawl has a penis! I don't think this is what Elizabeth Zimmerman was envisioning. I know, I know. How can a knitter just knit along for so many freaking stitches and not realize something wasn't quite right? Well apparently I screwed up the original knit on 8 stitches at the beginning of the edging and then was off and running. It didn't look right at first, but once I got going, it looked like a real live shawl edging, so I told myself it would just fold over "just so" once it was all done. Yeah. That's not happening.

I should frog the whole edging and start it over. Or I should do some strategic snipping and weaving in of ends and new knitting and magically fix the edging. I'm sure it could be done. But it won't be done by me. Nope. I think if I knit a while on the 8 stitches and just make a band, I can do a Crying Game movie version of "the tuck". For those of you not familiar with that movie, let's just say a pretty girl turned out to not be a girl after all. She/he disguised the extra equipment by, um, tucking it back and up out of the way and no one was the wiser. Yeah. That pretty much sums it up.

This is just so, so very wrong. My little tribue to Elizabeth Zimmerman, knitting my way through her Knitters' Almanaca book, is having its moments. Only I could end up with a manly appendage on the edge of a sweet, little-old-lady version of a shawl. At first I thought I could block it out. Yeah. That's not looking possible. Thanks to the garter stitch construction of it, I have a quite substantial 4 inch long unblocked salute going on here that no matter how you push it down keeps popping back up again. Maybe when it's tucked in it could resemble a tail? It's just not right. Not right at all.

Here's the not-blocked-yet photo. I did the boring version with stockinette stitching and the YO rows. Textiles A Mano Lanita painted laceweight yarn bought at the Knitting in the Heartland Vendor market. Gorgeous yarn. 1750 yards. I still have a crapload of this yarn. I may decide to frog the edging someday and make it bigger, more like a big round afghan and redo the edging later.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...