Friday, September 02, 2005

a somber post

I've watched too much cnn, or as Jeff's grandpa calls it "the c n and n". That's what it is to me now. It somehow sounds better that way, kind of like an old fashioned grocery store where everyone knows your name and the bag boys carry your bags to the car for you. Soothing. 1950's era patriotic, good citizen, Ward & June Cleaver kind of era.

God bless all those people down there. First of all, kudos to the Mississippi victims pulling together, helping one another, NOT SHOOTING AT RESCUERS. WTF is that? All our hearts go out to those people down south. Devastation can bring out the best in some people and in others the worst. It's horrifying to see. I can't read any more cn&n blog entries from journalists, I can't watch any more tv. I signed up to give blood. I know that doesn't help anyone down there now, but it's something I can do here for the greater good (and I have a HUGE dislike of needles, so that's a biggie for me) and it shows my children that there are things we can do to help people in need. We counted up the change the kids had and sent half to the red cross with some bucks from me as well. We added all the victims in our prayers. We talked about how lucky we are and how people help people. PEOPLE HELP PEOPLE. I left off the whole SOME people shoot at doctors, hospitals, rescue helicopters thing from the bedtime story. cripes.

Good luck to the national guard and police and rescue workers and citizens just trying to help. I just can't deal with all this third world country crap in our own land. It truly makes you thankful for what you have.

I'm going to pack for the lake trip this weekend. I'm going to hug my babies and love my man and enjoy my parents and knit and eat and fish and hide from reality in the backhills of Missouri. I will probably still watch the damn cn&n too, but not so much. I had to force myself to turn the tv off when I realized I was watching the same little lady with a blindfold on floating by on an airmattress followed by the same looters bashing in a store window every 4 minutes on a repeating cycle. That much repetition of bad images can black out the sunshine in your soul. Watch a little, thank whatever God you pray to for the good things in your life and to help those in need and turn off the damn tv and go sit in the sunshine for a while.

Later in the morning:
OK, so I went back to the cn&n this morning and listened to an interview with New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and was very inspired. It sounds like he's a good man working his butt off to save lives and help those that need it. He was blatantly honest, may or may not be in hot trouble with his political peers, but POWER TO THAT MAN. He said what needed to be said and I'd vote for the man if I was able. Heck I'd vote a couple-of times for that man. Seriously, it's amazing how many people ARE working together down there. Lets hope getting the troops involved will help get people safe, fresh water, food and comfort. The actual interview is on the cnn homepage, I can't link directly to it, but here's the transcript. If you have the chance, listen to the actual interview as the emotion and frustration and hope and fear all come through so powerfully that it really is an experience. The end of the transcript doesn't show the choked up voices of the two men talking. I feel it is a positive message overall. They're just still trying to save lives.

To the politicians, don't look for blame, don't look for fame. Stop the press conferences and bs and just get these people some help.

I'm off to hug my babies and start stockpiling water. I know it goes bad after a while, I know a natural disaster would most likely wipe out the little plastic bottles anyway, but it makes me feel better. I don't even want to think about the fact that most of my son's medication would not be available. Can you imagine not just healthy people in need down there but those needing medication to live? oh. I've got to stop. I'm going to go hug someone and since I'm still down in this damn dungeon office with just me & bossman, it's about time to leave and find someone I can hug. now. you. go hug someone too. now. but not your bossman either. that's just wrong.

Editor's rant:
This was totally not meant to be a liberal political post blaming the administration. There's no way to blame anyone for something this huge. I'm just saying let's get what these people need NOW and not worry about the political ramifications until everyone's safe. You people that emailed me nasty sentiments GET OVER YOURSELVES, spend that time sending money to the red cross or PRAYING for someone instead of worrying about some opinionated chic in Kansas for God's sake. Plus, you don't get invited to my lake house. na na na naaaaaa naaaaaaa. See, I can be petty and immature too. For the love of all that is holy, I've only had the post up here for a couple of hours. What, do you people sit around googling for anti-whatever-you-believe-is-sacred sentiments here and have a little evil emailing empire going or what? PRAY for someone and help someone and BE NICE. YOU don't go hug someone. Everyone NORMAL and NICE, go hug someone.

cripes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...