Friday, August 03, 2007

Sales Tax Free Weekend!!

Hey all you Missouri people or people near Missouri! If you have children, or want to buy computer stuff, now is the time! There's no state sales taxes for the state of MO (and I think NM too) from Aug 3-5th for school supplies, clothing and certain computer items. We're heading to the MO side of KC to do the dreaded wildly exciting free-for-all that is shopping for school supplies in Walmart. Let the flying elbows and white trash momma fighting begin. Let's get ready to RUUUUUMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBLLLLLE! The only good thing is that I've raised mostly-whine free children. There's nothing more fun than hearing a grown woman arguing with her 6 year old child. "no, I want thaaaaaaaaaaaaat one, not thaaaaaaaaat one Mommy!"

Went out to the KC airport last night around 9:30 to pick up my folks from their Alaskan 2 week vacation. Nice to be retired, huh? I'm sitting there in a waiting chair, knitting along on the 2nd jaywalker sock. Minding my own business. This guy keeps looking at me. LOOKING at me. I make eye contact and smile in a dismissive kind of way. More looking. Then he walks by about 3 times and out of the corner of my eye I see he TAKES MY PICTURE on his cell phone. I see THREE flashes in a row. creepy? yes. very much so, thank you. I'm choosing to think it's because he's a fan of knitting and wants to email the pic of this lovely sock I'm working on to another knitting friend. I'm choosing not to think that he's a total psycho and I'm now going to be added to his wall shrine of airport knitters he's building at home like a freaky episode of csi. nice.

Seriously, what do you do when someone takes your picture but you didn't give them permission to do so? If I were a celebrity I could throw something at them or have my bodyguards stomp on their camera/phone. Ah well, since I'm such the local celebrity this has happened ONCE I should probably get the hell over it. It was just freaky.

Then I am waiting with my folks about half and hour later and this woman comes up and taps me on the shoulder, asking if I may have lost my cell phone? cripes almightly. I got up and the phone fell out of my damn pocket and was still sitting on the chair. People are so freaking nice. I swear, I turn into Edith Bunker most of the time. Once in a while I have an epiphany and see the world clear and concisely, but 99% of the time I'm a happy, singing off key dingbat.

added later this same morning...No freaking way. I just started reading my bloglines list and found that the Yarn Harlot created a word for this, kinnearing. (secretly taking photos of people with your cell phones.) How freaky is that? I just saw her post after I wrote about what happened to me last night. weird. Or maybe everyone's already taking secret pictures of people all the time and I'm just now figuring this out? Yeah. That'd be about my speed. nice one, Edith, you've been Kinneared.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...